Update: the giveaway is now closed (8/12/14) and I’ve emailed the big winner and 5 bonus swag kit winners to let them know. Everyone who entered will receive a coupon for BeyondMeat. Thanks for entering!!
Happy Friday everyone! Lately I’ve been on a big taco kick and have made this recipe for Spicy Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos with Mango Guacamole almost weekly. Another one of my current favorite ways to do taco night right is this simple method for crunchy baked tacos. They’re super easy to make and adaptable to whatever meat/beans/cheese/veggies you like. I usually make mine with seasoned ground beef or chicken but when BeyondMeat reached out to me, I decided to give their Fiesty Beef Crumbles a try.
BeyondMeat’s stated mission is to find a better way to feed the planet by creating mass-market solutions to replace animal protein with plant protein. They’re dedicated to improving human health, positively impacting climate change, conserving natural resources and respecting animal welfare. You can find their meat alternatives in the frozen section for around $5.49 / 11 oz bag (find a store here.) My Harris Teeter doesn’t stock BeyondMeat but I found both crumble varieties at Whole Foods.
I snuck them into these tacos and my Midwestern-beef-loving husband thought they were delicious! I agree.
I’m also excited to present a great giveaway on Sally Cooks thanks to BeyondMeat. EVERYONE who enters will receive a FREE BeyondMeat Coupon so you can try a bag of the crumbles in your favorite beef recipe! 5 people will get Beyond Meat SWAG kits including t-shirts, hats and coupons for BeyondMeat, and 1 big winner will receive a SWAG kit plus a $100 gift card to a BeyondMeat retail partner of their choosing (a grocery store like Safeway or Harris Teeter.) Please click here to enter until August 12: a Rafflecopter giveaway
What to buy (feeds 3-4):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 small can green chiles
- 1 japaleno, diced (I de-seeded mine so it would be less hot)
- 1 package (11 ounces) Fiesty BeyondMeat Beef Crumbles
- 10 taco shells (I used a combo of soft and hard corn shells)
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 tomato, diced
- hot sauce
- other optional toppings: sour cream, guacamole, taco sauce
What to do:
- preheat oven to 375 degrees and place shells in a 9 by 13 baking dish that is lined with aluminum (for easy cleanup)
- add olive oil to pan and sauté onion, pepper, chiles until onions are softening
- add BeyondMeat beef crumbles and onion powder, garlic powder, cumin and chili powder to skillet
- sprinkle half of the cheese in the bottom of shells
- evenly distribute ground beef and pepper mixture in shells
- top ground beef with remaining shredded cheese.
- bake for about ten minutes, or until cheese is melted and shells have started to crisp
- remove from oven and top with lettuce, tomatoes and any other toppings you like
-are soy free, gluten free and kosher -made with 100% non-GMO pea protein -contain 10g of Protein – the same as ground beef -have no cholesterol, saturated or trans fat -come in two flavors: beefy – a hint of garlic and citrus perfect for pasta sauces, pizzas and more and feisty – a zesty blend of beef crumbles perfect for tacos or chili
Based on my experience with my taco recipe, I feel confident saying that BeyondMeat will fit right into your favorite beef recipes like Spicy Hot Cheese and Sausage Dip, Beef and Dark Beer Chili or Sloppy Joe Tacos.