This recipe for a juicy, easy-to-throw-together cherry pie concludes my countdown of thirty recipes for July Fourth! I couldn’t resist the jar of dark Morello cherries at Trader Joe’s and they were delicious baked into a pie. Add some vanilla ice-cream and some blueberries and you’ve got the perfect American, red, white and blue Fourth of July dessert. I used pre-made pie crusts and cut the top into a lattice design based on the instructions here.
You can find all of my cookout inspired July Fourth recipes here.
What to buy:
- 2 pie crusts
- 2 cups drained cherries, juice reserved (I used Morello from Trader Joes)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons tapioca
- pinch salt
- 3/4 cup juice (reserved from cherries)
What to do:
- preheat oven to 375 degrees
- mix together cherries, sugar, cornstarch, salt and juice
- pour into the pie shell and over with top crust
- bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until crust is golden and filling is bubbling and serve warm