Simple Strawberry Angel Food Cake Trifle
This weekend we had my sisters, their boyfriends and their dogs over for a cookout on the back porch. I think everyone, especially our puppies, pictured above with my sister, had a great night. Red and Bengal barely moved at all on Sunday because they were so exhausted from the previous night’s excitement.
When we have company for dinner I prefer to do as much cooking as I can ahead of time so I can relax when our guests arrive. This dessert falls into the make-ahead-of-time category and even gets better as it sits for a few hours or overnight. This trifle will feed a crowd and is summery and light despite the layers of decadent whipped cream.
I used a box angel food cake mix to lighten up the dish but any kind of cake you like would work. Next time I think I’ll make this with a pound cake. If you want to cut out a step you could buy an angel food or pound cake to cut into layers. The same is true for the whipped cream layers. I love real whipped cream and it doesn’t take long to whip it up with my KitchenAid Mixer but frozen whipped topping or canned whipped cream would work.
What to buy (serves 8-10):
- 1 boxed angel food cake mix, prepared as directed
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar, more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 pounds strawberries, sliced
- basil leaves, optional garnish
What to do:
- cut angel food cake into bite size pieces
- sprinkle strawberries with 2 tablespoons of sugar
- using a hand or stand mixer whisk the cream, 1 tablespoon sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form
- alternate layers of whipped cream, cake and strawberries in one large clear glass dish or 8-10 smaller dishes
- refrigerate until you are ready to serve
- garnish with basil leaves or extra sliced fruit