Happy National Pi Day! To celebrate, Inkling asked me to join in the fun by sharing an original pie recipe along with their two delicious pie related recipes from the Modernist Cuisine at Home cookbook: Flaky Pie Crust and Sous Vide Vanilla-Cinnamon Pastry Cream.
I love sweet pies, especially cherry and apple pie but I decided to go with a savory pie that’s always a favorite: chicken pot pie!
On Wednesday night I had guests over for dinner and served this pie loaded with chicken and vegetables alongside a spinach salad. I think it’s perfect for a casual dinner party because you can make everything ahead of time and let it cook while you spend time with your guests. Pot pie is the definition of comfort food and topping with biscuits makes a good thing even better.
I took a shortcut and used canned biscuit dough that you can find in the refrigerator section of your grocery store but you could always roll out your own biscuit dough. I forgot to take a picture of the finished product during my dinner party but as soon as I make this again I’ll update with a picture! For now, just imagine flakey golden biscuits on top of a bubbling pie filling!
Happy Friday and Happy Pi Day!
What to buy (serves 5-6)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces (I used 4 chicken breasts)
- 1 can refrigerated flaky-style biscuit dough
What to do:
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- melt butter in a skillet and add onion, celery, and carrots, cooking until the celery and carrots are tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- stir in peas, parsley, thyme and flour, stirring for about five minutes as the flour coats the vegetables
- whisk in chicken broth and half and half, cooking until sauce thickens and bubbles
- season to taste with salt and pepper
- transfer the vegetables and sauce into a 2 quart baking pan, add chicken and stir to combine
- arrange biscuits on top of the pie filling
- bake until the biscuits are golden brown and the pie filling is bubbling, for about 15 to 20 minutes
- let rest a few minutes before serving