Sausage-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
This recipe is number twenty-eight in my Thirty for Thanksgiving project where I’m cooking thirty recipes inspired by the November issue of Food Network Magazine. This one comes from the Vegetable Sides insert.
This is a delicious yet simple recipe with few ingredients and little prep time.
I used maple sausage
and I liked how the sweeter flavor combined with the sweet potatoes. The presentation in individual potatoes is nice but if you’re cooking for a crowd this Thanksgiving, you could skip this step by ditching the potato skins and making it in a large casserole dish.
What to buy (serves 4-6):
- 16 ounces ground maple pork sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 4-6 medium size sweet potatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sharp cheddar cheese and sour cream, optional
What to do:
- bake sweet potatoes for 45 minutes to an hour at 400 degrees until soft (can be done ahead of time and re-heated)
- brown sausage and onions in a large skillet, sautéing until sausage is no longer pink, adding salt and pepper to taste
- when sweet potatoes are soft, cut in half lengthwise, keeping skins intact and scooping flesh out into a bowl
- combine sweet potato with cooked sausage mixture
- top with cheese (if using) and pop potatoes into the oven for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees to melt cheese
- top with sour cream (optional) and serve while warm