Today I’m doubling up on Brussels sprouts recipes as part of my Thanksgiving challenge (cooking thirty recipes from the November issue of Food Network Magazine) before Thanksgiving hits (and it is fast approaching!) This recipe is number twenty-four and it comes from the Vegetable Sides insert. You can find a similar recipe from the Food Network here.
I made a few changes to the recipe including using 2% milk instead of heavy cream and crushed corn flakes in place of bread crumbs. For a weeknight dinner I didn’t want to go full fat with the cream but if you’re making this for your holiday I say go for it!
What to buy (serves 3-4):
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 1/2 cup crushed corn flakes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar and pepper jack cheeses
What to do:
- bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the Brussels sprouts and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes
- drain and let cool
- toss sprouts in a baking dish with 1 tablespoon flour, salt and cinnamon
- pour in milk and sprinkle with cheese and corn flakes
- bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes and serve hot