Pimento cheese has been called the pate of the south and it is the star of this chicken recipe. I made my own pimento cheese but if you were pressed for time you could pick up some of your favorite brand and mix it in with the bacon before topping the chicken. The crispy bacon takes it over the top! Throw in some diced jalapeno to add heat and give this a jalapeno popper flavor.
Joe gets the naming credits for this one and it is now his favorite sally cooks recipe, knocking off the 6 week champ, Slow Cooker Pulled Pork!
If you want to serve this as a dip, leave out the chicken and simply transfer the pimento bacon mixture to a microwavable dish and microwave for two minutes or put in a baking dish in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until heated through and serve with tortilla chips. It would also be a fantastic burger topper for summer grilling.
What to buy (serves 2):
- 2 chicken breasts
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- ½ cup finely diced pimento peppers
- 4-5 strips of bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
What to do:
- combine the bacon cheese, mayonnaise, Dijon, salt, pepper, parsley, and peppers
- spoon mixture on top of chicken in an oven safe dish and bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle
- serve while hot