Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Anyone else bummed that it is Monday and the Fourth of July is over? Yeah, me too. I miss the lake, my family and feeling like I’m a kid at summer camp bouncing from one fun thing to another.
So, with that in mind, here is an easy dessert you can make tonight to get back some of that Fourth of July feeling (maybe? I’m hoping…) and strawberries are at the peak of their season so get ’em now!
What to buy:
- About a dozen ripe strawberries
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped chocolate chips or vary up your chocolate (I did some with semi-sweet chips and some with a 3.5 ounce dark chocolate bar from Trader Joe’s)
What to do:
- line a baking tray with wax paper
- wash the strawberries and dry them thoroughly
- place the chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat and stir until it is half-way melted (you don’t want your chocolate overcooked as it will be harder to work with, worse burnt-tasting, so it’s important to keep a careful eye on the chocolate. Remove it when some pieces are still not melted, and stir until they melt.)
- holding a strawberry by the stem, dip it in chocolate, twirling it in a circular motion to evenly cover most of the berry
- place the chocolate-dipped berry on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining berries and chocolate
- refrigerate the berries for 30 minutes to set the chocolate
- they taste best when eaten the same day or next day