Banana Nutella Cream Pie
I was going to make a peanut butter chocolate pie but I forgot to buy PB at the grocery store. I stopped at a convenience store when I realized I’d forgotten PB but they only had Nutella. Thus the idea for a banana nutella pie was born and I’m awfully glad I forgot the PB now that I’ve tasted this pie.
To speed the pie making I used a sto-bought crust, I like the ones from Trader Joe’s in the freezer section, but by all means, make your own crust if you’d like. I had some home-made vanilla ice cream that I scooped on top to make this ultra decadent but it would be perfectly delicious without this step.
I spent a summer in college living in Paris and I’m not exaggerating when I say that I ate a banana nutella crepe almost every day for lunch. They were cheap, available on every corner and oh so good. I’ve never tried to recreate the wonder of a Parisian street crepe but this pie took me right back to 2003. Banana and nutella is a match made in heaven.
What to buy:
- 1 pie crust, baked as instructed on the box and chilled
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup Nutella plus 5 tablespoons, divided
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 bananas, sliced
- cocoa powder for dusting (optional)
What to do:
- chill the bowl and whisk attachment of your stand mixer for 20 minutes
- beat heavy cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form, refrigerate
- beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until mixed, add the milk and the Nutella and beat until creamy
- fold 1/2 the whipped cream into your Nutella mixture
- spread 5 tablespoons of plain Nutella on the bottom of the pie crust
- layer sliced bananas on top of the plain Nutella and then spread on the Nutella Cream
- add sliced bananas, the rest of the whipped cream and dust with cocoa powder
- chill for 4 hours before serving