How to: Make Vanilla Extract
I’m convinced you can order anything on Amazon. My most recent exciting purchase was four incredibly-good-smelling vanilla beans. They arrived in a somehow-illicit-feeling package like this which I shared on Instagram, prompting a friend to comment that this was #SallyPorn. Indeed.
I bought vanilla beans so I could try my hand at vanilla icecream and more pressingly, make my own vanilla extract. Making vanilla extract at home takes only time, two ingredients and almost no effort.
- 375 ml. bourbon (or vodka but bourbon will give you the deeper brown color)
- 3 vanilla beans
What to do:
- use a knife to split the vanilla beans in half but leave about an 1/2 inch intact at the top of each bean
- put the vanilla beans in bourbon bottle
- give the jar a good shake and then store it in a dark place
- give it a shake every week or so and let it sit for at least two months before using in any recipe that calls for vanilla extract!