This past weekend several of Joe’s friends came to visit. Sad to miss his friends, but happy for him to get to spend time with them, I made a hearty breakfast casserole he could pop in the oven for everyone to eat Sunday morning, presumably after a big Saturday night.
I love breakfast casseroles because you can prepare them ahead of time for big a crowd. My family has a sausage,egg and cheese casserole variation of some sort on Christmas morning that bakes while we open presents.
I don’t have an “after” picture of the casserole but I’m going to assume the cheese was bubbling and that it disappeared quickly!
What to buy (serves 6-8):
- 9 eggs
- 1 small bag of shredded, frozen hashbrowns
- 1 pound sausage, cooked and drained
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 tablespoons hot sauce
- 4-5 tablespoons green pepper sauce
What to do:
- whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper and milk until combined
- layer hashbrowns, then sausage, cheese (and repeat) into the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish
- pour the egg mixture on top of everything
- top with hot sauce and more cheese
- cover and refrigerate overnight
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- bake, uncovered for 45 minutes and let sit for 10 minutes before serving