Sausage and Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
This past weekend several of Joe’s friends came to visit. Sad to miss his friends, but happy for him to get to spend time with them, I made a hearty breakfast casserole he could pop in the oven for everyone to eat Sunday morning, presumably after a big Saturday night.
I love breakfast casseroles because you can prepare them ahead of time for big a crowd. My family has a sausage,egg and cheese casserole variation of some sort on Christmas morning that bakes while we open presents.
I don’t have an “after” picture of the casserole but I’m going to assume the cheese was bubbling and that it disappeared quickly!
What to buy (serves 6-8):
- 9 eggs
- 1 small bag of shredded, frozen hashbrowns
- 1 pound sausage, cooked and drained
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 tablespoons hot sauce
- 4-5 tablespoons green pepper sauce
What to do:
- whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper and milk until combined
- layer hashbrowns, then sausage, cheese (and repeat) into the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish
- pour the egg mixture on top of everything
- top with hot sauce and more cheese
- cover and refrigerate overnight
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- bake, uncovered for 45 minutes and let sit for 10 minutes before serving