Roasted Spiced Cashews
If you’ve never roasted nuts you may think this is a waste of time. Why alter something that is so good in its pure form?
Just try it! Roasting nuts deepens their flavor and gives them a crisper texture. I also like to buy the unsalted nuts so I can add my own salt and spices (hopefully using less than the salted variety would have been packaged with.)
Keep an eye on the nuts while they roast and don’t be afraid to stir them, especially if your oven has hot spots. Take them out when the nuts are browned and smell, well, nutty, and immediately transfer into your spice bowl. You don’t want to let your nuts cool on the tray they were baked on because they will keep cooking.
What to buy:
- 2 cups cashews
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- juice of 1 lime
What to do:
- preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- place the nuts on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes until they are warmed through
- combine cayenne pepper, lime juice, sugar, salt and butter in a large bowl
- toss the warm nuts with the spice mixture until the nuts are completely coated