When it is hot outside I avoid the oven and I crave crisp salads. I’ve been on a kale kick so I decided to try out a kale Caesar. I like the combo of the kale’s hearty texture and robust flavor with the brightly tart Caesar dressing. Let your dressing sit on the greens for a bit before you serve it (on chilled plates, of course!) so the flavors in the dressing can deepen.
I added pickled beets for a pop of color and a sweet flavor. Croutons, crusty bread or grilled chicken would also be great additons. This salad is salty, summery, and delicious.
What to buy (serves 2):
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste or 4 flat anchovies (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup virgin olive oil
- 4-5 cups of kale, center stalks removed, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
What to do:
- mix lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, anchovy and mustard, whisking until smooth
- add the oil in a steady stream while whisking until smooth
- add half the dressing to kale and toss, add remaining dressing, parmesan cheese and toss again