I’ve been wanting to make banana bread for a while but I keep using the bananas in my morning smoothies so I decided to use some leftover mashed sweet potatoes to make bread instead.
Sweet potatoes are nutritional powerhouses with almost twice as much fiber as white potatoes, manganese, loads of potassium, beta carotene, vitamin A, B6, C and E. Not convinced yet to make some sweet potato bread this weekend?
If you do, while the bread is warm you could spread on some Cinnamon Honey Butter. To make Cinnamon Honey Butter: combine 1/4 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature, 3 tablespoons good honey, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon salt (serve at room temp.) Or whip up some Cream Cheese Frosting….you’re eating vegetables after all.
Sweet Potato Bread:
What to buy:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
What to do:
- combine sugar and oil; beat well
- add eggs and vanilla, incorporate
- combine dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg
- stir dry mixture into egg mixture
- stir in sweet potatoes and chopped nuts.
- pour batter into buttered cake round pan (or 2 small loaf pans) my loaf pan got lost in the move so I’m improvising…
- bake at 350 for about one hour until the middle is set