Before we I get to this indulgent recipe a little history lesson for ya about the legend of St. Patrick and why we sport green on March 17:
St Patrick was born in fourth century Roman Britain where he was kidnaped at the age of sixteen by Irish raiders and taken to Ireland. According to the legend, he was told by God in a dream to flee from captivity to the coast, where he would board a ship and return to Britain. He did just that and became a priest upon his return.
Later in life he returned to Ireland to spread Christianity. According to Irish folklore, he used the 3 prongs of the shamrock to explain the Christian doctrine of the Trinity. After nearly thirty years of evangelism, he died on 17 March 461 and is celebrated as the principal champion of Irish Christianity.
Originally, the colour associated with St. Patrick was blue but as early as the 17th century people started wearing green ribbons and shamrocks instead. To make a political statement and to gain public attention in the 1798 Irish rebellion, Irish soldiers wore full green uniforms. Lastly, the phrase “the wearing of the green”, meaning to wear a shamrock on one’s clothing, derives from a song of the same name. (Thanks Wikipedia)
Now onto this boozy milkshake which you can garnish with cookies or chocolate curls if you’re into decadence. A warning that you might not be a fan of this liquid dessert if you don’t enjoy the bitterness of stout beer. It might also be a moot point to note that Guinness is a light beer (bc you’re mixing it with ice cream) but just so you know before you down pints of Guinness tomorrow:
- Guinness has less calories than the most popular non-light beers on the market
- Guinness also has the second to lowest carbs and the lowest alcohol of the most popular beers out there
- More here
- 3 cups ice cream (whatever kind you like but chocolate, vanilla, or cookies and creme like i used will work!)
- 1 can Guinness
Guinness Milkshake: (serves 1)
What to do:
- in a blender, add the ice cream and the Guinness and blend until smooth, if you like your milkshakes chunkier adjust accordingly or add chocolate chips/cookies/ice…..
- pour into serving glasses and get excited