Confession: Until fairly recently, the texture and green color of guacamole freaked me out. Luckily, frequent trips to Rosa Mexicano with Cat and their awesome table-side prepared guacamole turned me into a believer.
You don’t need to go to Rosa or heavens forbid, buy the packaged guacamole at your grocery store. All you need to make a winning guac is a few fresh ingredients.
Fun fact that will make you feel virtuous as you shove chips loaded with the green stuff into your mouth: the monounsaturated fat in avocados is great for you! Blood sugar peaks can signal your body to store fat around your midsection, but monounsaturated fats stop the spikes, thwarting fat accumulation. Half an avocado contains 10 grams of the healthy fats.
A study in Diabetes Care found dieters who consumed monounsaturated fats lost more stomach bulge than those eating the same number of calories but less of the fats. And a study in Obesity reveals that when monkeys ate trans fats, their waists were 30 percent bigger than those of simians eating monounsaturated fats.
So lets be skinny monkeys and eat guacamole.
- 2 soft avocados
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- optional 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
What to do:
- in a large bowl place avocado and lime juice, toss to coat
- add spices and mash – up to you how mixed you like it….
- fold in the onions, jalapeno, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic