Eat Like a Greek: Greek Chicken and Chickpea Salad
After three readers emailed me a link to this article from the Daily Beast I decided I had to share it – I support a diet that calls for olive oil, wine and nuts! This article inspired dinner: roasted chicken, chickpea salad and garlicky sauted spinach with a crisp sauvignon blanc.
To make the chicken simply marinate as many chicken breasts as you like in 1/2 cup olive oil, 3 cloves garlic, minced, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano and 2 lemons, juiced. If you can’t find fresh I won’t be mad at you if you use dried herbs. Then grill it up – or pretend grill it with your cast iron skillet-grill pan.
This is where Joe comes in and I sit and watch with my friend on the left. Joe glazes the skillet with some olive oil and then he pops the chicken into the oven until it is almost cooked – about 8-10 minutes at 350. He finishes the chicken on the stove top, on medium-high heat, only 1-2 minutes a side, to sear the outside. Cooking in the oven keeps your chicken from drying out.
To saute your spinach, add a tablespoon of olive oil to your skillet, add as much chopped garlic as you like, some salt and pepper and handfuls of spinach. You’ll be amazed at how it reduces down. Eat and feel like Popeye.
Greek Chickpea Salad: (serves 4)
- 1, 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, sliced (not pictured bc i forgot them at the grocery store)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
What to do:
- in a medium sized bowl, toss together the chickpeas, tomatoes, cheese, cucumber and kalamata olives
- separately whisk together the olive oil, oregano, balsamic, lemon juice, garlic salt and pepper
- add olive oil mix to the garbanzo mixtand toss ( I think this gets better the longer it sits but you can served immediately, refrigerate the leftovers and serve cold)