I’m from the South where frying food is completely acceptable, even encouraged. Don’t be daunted by the idea of frying; it is just like sauteing with a little more oil!
This recipe will blow you away – it is sweet, salty and crunchy. You don’t have to take my word for it, this is currently Joe’s favorite dinner, knocking off Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Chicken for the title.
I made a sweet and spicy dipping sauce but you could cut your prep time and serve this with ketchup and hot sauce. You can see from my pictures that the oil doesn’t have to be deep to get a great crispy texture and go for unsweetened coconut flakes if you can find them. All you need to make this a meal is a spinach salad with a mustard vinaigrette.
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon sriracha
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- salt and pepper
- 3 chicken breasts cut into strips
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- canola oil (about 1/2-3/4 cup)
Coco-Loco Chicken Strips with Sweet and Spicy Sauce: (serves 3)
- add ketchup, honey, sriracha, bbq sauce, soy sauce, spices and orange juice to a small sauce pot and reduce on low for about 10 minutes
- heat deep pan on medium heat with oil filled about 1 inch
- dredge the chicken in eggs
- mix coconut flakes with bread crumbs
- then dredge the chicken in bread crumbs and coconut mixture
- drop the chicken in the hot oil and fry until golden brown about 3 minutes a side